Sunday, March 17, 2019

Yangon on Foot

I set foot on one of the countries that was not really known by most people in my country. Myanmar (formerly known as Burma) is one of the countries that is still adapting to globalization. Their culture is still evident in their city in the present day. Yangon is one of the biggest city in Myanmar. I decided to explore this city for the first time as an introduction to Myanmar.

Skyline View of Yangon with the Shwedagon Pagoda


Just to give you a side story, I went to Bangkok for my usual trip there. I decided to booked tickets from Bangkok to Yangon abruptly. I left my luggage at my friend's hotel and flew to Yangon on that day. From Bangkok, it takes 1 hour and 50 minutes flight. Considering that Myanmar's time is 30 minutes advance than Thailand. I arrived a little bit early to sunset. I checked-in at my hotel off to explore the city at night.

Currency and Money Exchange

I researched about how to exchange money to Burmese Kyat in the country. To only found out, most money changer only accepts US Dollar. Make sure that it is crispy new! At that time, 1 USD =  1500 Kyat.

I was really anxious that time to where can I exchange money to US Dollar as I only have Thai Baht on hand.

Luckily, I know a local friend in Yangon. He showed me where to exchange Thai Baht to Burmese Kyat. For a 1000 Baht, I exchanged it to 46000 Kyat.

Most people in Yangon who traveled in Thailand always knows where to exchange Baht to Kyat. It is better to exchange it in the city rather at the airport.

Transportation

Like what I usually do, I travel like the local. I used the bus in the city to go from one point to another. It is usually paid 200 Kyat per ride. It is a cheap alternative than taxi.

However, taxi is very convenient. I usually book my taxi through Grab App which most of my rides costs 5000 - 5800 Kyat per way.

Local Scene

The city is modernize. There are international brands in Yangon. The city still preserves some greens. The Kandawgyi Park is a good park to stroll while witnessing the lake.




I usually go for sky bars for most cities I went to and Yangon is no exception. Atlas bar has a great skyline view in Yangon.

Skyline at Atlas Bar


Local beer and wines are sprouting. The famous 19th Street in Chinatown, Yangon is bustling with people for a drink, barbeque and food.

Local Burmese White Wine

It is really cheap to have alcohol here.

Food

As a food explorer, it is my duty to taste local delicacies. Based on what I tasted, most Burmese dishes are heavily mixed with herbs and more unto vegetables.


Burmese Milk Tea
Tomatoes with herbs


Also the best place to get some local is in Chinatown. You would still see the typical Chinese street food such as pork intestines and other grilled meats. They have a grilled vegetables too and other local dishes.

Mohingya is considered as the national dish of the Burmese people. As it is widely serve in many areas of Myanmar. It is a fish broth soup with noodles and spiced up with herbs and onions. I am not a fan of fish soup but this one doesn't have the fishy taste.

Mohinga

I know that there are some food that needs to be tasted. This Paratha is my favorite. This is flatbread stuffed with minced meat and heavy of the herbs! I like the fresh herbs in this dish.
This is my favorite

Nan Gyi and Pyay Paratha

Some dishes such as Nan Gyi and Pyay are also good to try!

Shwedagon Pagoda

One reason I went here is to pray at the Shwedagon Pagoda as one of my bucket list. I usually go to the temples and pray for guidance, wisdom, abundance and peace. I wouldn't want to miss this opportunity while I am in Yangon.


Golden Temple

When we arrived at the temple, you need to remove your shoes and place it in a plastic bag. I was wearing shorts that time, so I need to wear Longyi to cover my knees. Many of the locals wears Longyi as it part of their culture and it is perfect for the Burmese weather.
We need to climbed more than a thousand steps towards the center or the pagoda. Since I was excited, there is no sweat for me to climb such steps.

As I entered, I was amazed of the grand structure in front of me. Despite of the people coming to the temple, I am prepared to pray. I read about praying on your corner of the day of your birth. Since I was born on a Friday, I prayed at the Friday corner. They said that when you prayed deeply on your day corner at Shwedagon Pagoda, your wishes will come true.

I am certain that what I prayed came true. Let's keep it to myself as of now.

I kept in mind that I should be thankful for the travels I had. I am so grateful for this opportunity that I had to go Yangon. I ticked out one of my bucket list and I know there are more to come.










No comments:

Post a Comment